Authors Kiss with Sara Troy and her guest Elizabeth A. Smiroldo, on air from September 13th
Nuclear engineer E. A. Smiroldo talks about her cli-fi (climate-change fiction) thriller The Silent Count
E. A. Smiroldo, novelist, musician and nuclear engineer. Her novel The Silent Count is a cli-fi (climate-change fiction) thriller about a young nuclear engineer who comes up with a daring plan to combat climate change, but faces unintended consequences as she fights for her family, her career, and for humanity. E.A. talks about her background in science as a nuclear engineer specializing in weapons nonproliferation, and the inspiration for this climate-change thriller.
E.A. Smiroldo, a native of Washington DC, has witnessed how politics corrupts and skews human perspectives on what’s right and wrong. E.A. says humanity is dangerously close to the brink of a real climate crisis.
|Audry||Radio Public.||FM Player|
- How a nuclear weapon could indeed change weather patterns
- How the premise of her book, The Silent Count, was inspired by a real textbook and valid science
- Weapons nonproliferation
- Climate change and is it too late?
- People think energy and fuel is expensive now, just wait…
- If countries like France can make climate headway, then the US can, too
- Her book is satire but in the same spirit as movies like Don’t Look Up, is a cautionary tale
- Greenwashing – corporations and people do this to feel good but it doesn’t really help
- Capturing carbon from coal, and other ideas we should consider
- We need to make sure leaders are doing things for the betterment of the people, not for poll numbers
- Music and how it influenced her writing
- One of the main characters is a musician — E. A. infused a lot of her experiences from the gigs she played as a musician
- The local DC music scene — the hardcore punk scene in Washington DC were on the forefront of the straightedge movement, like her main characters
- The soundtrack for The Silent Count, available on YouTube
ABOUT THE BOOK:
She’s determined to stop climate change before it’s too late…
Nuclear engineer Dara Bouldin’s life is a mess. She’s paying off her dad’s gambling debts, reeling from a broken engagement, and practically invisible at the energy research agency where she works. Meanwhile, her ex Jericho’s latest single is racing up the charts and her handsome new colleague Dmitri is friendly with everyone but her. All around them, wildfires, floods, and other natural disasters have become the norm. But Dara has an audacious plan to reverse climate change, if only someone would listen.
Little does she know, someone at the CIA has been paying attention. And when the public demands action, Dara gets the chance to turn her dream into reality, with the blessings of Congress and the President. Things are looking up. That is until she discovers a secret that thrusts her into the center of a global conflict that could rewrite history, in dire ways she never intended. Things are going to change, big time. And the countdown has already begun. Be careful what you wish for, Dara.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
E. A. Smiroldo is a novelist, musician, and a nuclear engineer. She is the author of the debut novel The Silent Count, which blends her scientific expertise as a nuclear engineer specializing in weapons nonproliferation, with real-world inspired drama. A Washington DC native, she’s also a Washington Area Music Association Award-nominated singer-songwriter and has won prizes in writing competitions sponsored by the Bethesda Literary Festival and the International Screenwriters’ Dig. After placing in the latter, she optioned the treatment for a screenplay with X-ray Media.
All of our shows/interviews are done by donation, if you enjoyed this show please support us here with either a one-time donation or subscribe and support on Patreon.