Building your business with Sara Troy and her guest Rich Owen (Richard William Owen, Jr.)
In the over 50 years of protecting information, Rich Owen has had some great opportunities and received much recognition. He created many computer security programs including the one for Mission Operations at Johnson Space Center, where the astronauts awarded him the “Silver Snoopy” award for protecting their lives. He is a member of the Information Security Hall of Fame and last year he was awarded the industry’s Lifetime Achievement Award. Now that he is retired, he is sharing his knowledge with individuals and small businesses. He is the author of the “Cyber Security Sam” series of books, which are about a high school student who helps the FBI solve cybercrime.
|Audry||Radio Public.||FM Player|
Rich Owen is the principal contributor to Johnny Security Seed, LLC. He began his cyber security adventure in the Army Security Agency (ASA). The primary customer of the ASA was the National Security Agency (NSA). In the ASA he performed the duties as an Electronic Warfare (EW)/Electronic Counter Measures (ECM) systems repair supervisor.
He has B.S. degrees in Management and Computer Science from the University of Maryland.
He developed several information security programs to include:
- Mission Operations, Johnson Space Center, NASA
- Texas, Office of the Attorney General
- Early Warning Services
- American Traffic Solutions
- Cable One
Along the way, Rich was awarded the “Silver Snoopy” by the astronauts for the program that he created to protect the information and computer systems upon which their lives depended. He and his team were given a Continuous Improvement Award by the NASA Administrator, for doing so and avoiding over $25M in cost.
Rich has also contributed to the profession and information protection industry. He contributed to the creation of many standards and solutions that we use today. Accomplishments include:
- Harold F. Tipton Lifetime Achievement Award – (ISC)2
- Information Security Hall of Fame – ISSA
- Past international president – ISSA
- Distinguished Fellow – ISSA
- Honor Roll – ISSA
- Fellow – Ponemon Institute
Rich has the following certifications:
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP),
- Certified Information Privacy Technician (CIPT),
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM),
- Certified in Risk Information Security Controls (CRISC),
- Certified Protection Professional (CPP)
Note above where it talks about Mission Operations at Johnson Space Center. My boss was “Mr. Failure is Not an Option”, Gene Kranz. He was the real Flight Director who was wearing the white vest and was portrayed by Ed Harris in the movie Apollo 13.
FIND HIS BOOKS ON AMAZON HERE
RICH’S LATEST BOOK
Cybersecurity is not a one size fits all solution; therefore, security must be tailored to the needs of the individual. The purpose of this book is to provide readers with rational business processes by which they can understand what information is important, and why. “The Alchemy of Information Protection” was specifically written for:
1. The non-cybersecurity executive or business owner who wants to gain an understanding of their role in the protection of the company’s information assets.
2. The person in the company who is tasked with creating and maintaining a cost-effective program to protect the company’s information assets.
3. The Chief Information Security Officer who may be reminded of some points where they can improve their programs.
All of our shows/interviews are done by donation, if you enjoyed this show please support us here with either a one-time donation or subscribe and support on Patreon.