Their Story Matters with Sara Troy and her guest Angela Peabody. Airs from September 27th on.
What is Female Genital Mutilation?
Female Genital Mutilation, more commonly known as Female Circumcision is the intentional removal of the external parts of the female genitalia for non-medical reasons. There are 4 different related types of procedures.
Angela Peabody is the Executive Director and Founder of Global Woman P.E.A.C.E. Foundation, a 501c3 organisation founded on the principles of eliminating violence and injustices against women
It is Angela’s wish that her latest book, When the Games Froze (Buy Here ) will garner interest and support from the American public in the campaign to end female genital cutting. She developed the passion as an advocate for women and girls against injustices and violence after her sister was killed by her husband and a friend of hers died in childbirth as a result of female genital cutting.
TUNE IN HERE FOR ON DEMAND LISTENING NOW
For mobile/tablets you can download free apps here: http;//soundcloud.com/mobile
History & Mission Global Woman P.E.A.C.E. Foundation was founded on the principles of ending violence and injustices against women and girls. The mission of the organization is to empower women and girls through education to eradicate gender based violence. Founded in 2012, the organization, Global Woman merged with another organization called P.E.A.C.E. (People Everywhere All Created Equal); the name was officially changed to Global Woman P.E.A.C.E. Foundation. In the same year, the organization received its 501c3 tax exempt status from the Internal Revenue Service under the new name. Unique Strengths & Assets There are several organizations in the United States that advocate against various individual types of gender based violence. However Global Woman P.E.A.C.E. Foundation is unique in its advocacy against female genital mutilation. The organization raises awareness through events and the distribution of literature about the violent acts against women and girls. The Executive Director, Angela Peabody authored a novel about female genital mutilation, from which all proceeds and royalties are donated to the organization as support against the practice of female genital mutilation. Programs Global Woman P.E.A.C.E. Foundation engages in four categories of programs:
1. Rehabilitation: A Group and Individual Counseling program in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area for survivors of female genital mutilation (FGM). This program provides an environment where women and girls can receive counselling and empowerment for a future free of FGM.
2. Prevention: A program for at-risk girls and children that are not at risk of experiencing FGM but might be the friend of an at-risk girl. This program entails working with parents, teachers, school nurses and school counselors as well as the children. To date, a training manual and a reading story book have been completed and ready to be shared with the public by Global Woman P.E.A.C.E. Foundation. In addition, a cultural history book is currently being written with child-friendly language.
3. A post FGM vagina does not look as it did prior to undergoing FGM. Its appearance is unfamiliar to American healthcare workers, and they are not accustomed to identifying and working with it. Restorative surgery is the answer to maNy post-FGM OB/GYN problems. The surgery will restore the vagina to normal appearance and functions. The surgery will help the young women have normal OB/GYN check-ups without embarrassment and fear. It enables them to have normal childbirth without the risk of infant and maternal mortalities, and to live without the physical genital pain they encounter with every monthly cycle and with each urination and sexual encounter. The centre is raising funds to support the surgeries of the young women.
The components of the Post Buddy Program are:
- One-on-one Counseling
- Group Counseling
- A Network of Participating OB/GYNo
- Physical Therapy
- OB/GYN and Restorative Surgery Referrals
More on your host Sara Troy’s shows, their-story-matters
Global Woman P.E.A.C.E. Foundation | 8280 Willow Oaks Corporate Drive, Suite 600 | Fairfax, VA. 22031 | 703.818.3787